Peter Vox had only taken 9 days off of performing and teaching in the last 25 years. In this blog, he is going to tell you his secrets of great health, and a few tips and tricks you can use to feel good all the time.
So, is there a specific diet for singers? How do you manage hunger, and what if you like junk food? How much water should you drink? Any vitamins? Also, easy DIY ideas to supplement your nutritional needs, reduce inflammation, and boost energy – to get the most out of your voice, all day, every day!
First and foremost, you need to find out what works best for YOU.
Diet – please make sure that you’re eating well. Remember that your body is a temple, and you only get out of it what you put inside. So, I am a vegetarian, and it has taken me a few years to work out what really works well for me, including protein intake, minerals and elements, but I feel a lot better being a vegetarian than when I was eating meat.
1. When I wake up in the morning, I have a green shake, it’s my first thing that I do. In this green shake, I always have broccoli, kale, and spinach. They are superfoods, and a lot of multivitamins in these particular vegetables make me feel great. After a green shake, I feel a big burst of energy. Sometimes I put in ginger, or pepper, or whatever else I’ve got – carrots, celery; and always – organic spirulina. I can’t recommend this highly enough, it’s absolutely fantastic. I just put in a little teaspoon of this. It has got antioxidants, great fuel for your immune system, its gluten free, dairy free and vegan. It has got protein in it as well, so I put spirulina in my green shake every morning.
2. I normally do eat healthily. I have some carbs in the middle of the afternoon, and no carbs in the evening. I generally have cereal, grains, pasta or rice… So, I try to eat really well, including plenty of fruits and vegetables.
3. I have an 80-20 rule – 80% of my nutrition is clean and very healthy, and 20% is what most people consider junk food. You, too, should consume diverse diet, and indulge occasionally.
4. I am a conscious eater – only eat when I am hungry, and never just for the sake of eating. I am lucky to have an occupation where I do have breaks frequently between lessons, and can eat whenever I’m hungry – and not eat when I’m not! So that’s a really important thing for me, being a conscious eater.
5. On top of that, I highly recommend “Tangy Tangerine”. It’s a multivitamin drink, which I add to my water and sip all day. In summer I drink between 2 and 3 liters of water a day, in winter – at least a liter. When I am drinking my water, I am mixing “Tangy Tangerine” into it, and I am always drinking my water warm to room temperature. In summer – room temperature, but the rest of the year – warm water, which I keep in a thermos. I feel a lot better when I consume warm fluids, and “Tangy Tangerine” is a multivitamin drink… so I am taking multivitamins, the whole day.
6. However, I do take multivitamins when I am feeling flat, didn’t eat properly, missed out on some sleep, or had a couple of big days. Having done a little bit of research, I’ve found this multivitamin complex – “Formula SF88” by Nutrition Care. This is fantastic. It’s quite expensive, but I feel that this get into my body and it’s actually working.
7. If I’m feeling especially flat, I also do take B-vitamins. They only work and extract energy for your body if you have good food. If you have got junk food in your body, it’s not going to extract any energy from it, so you have to get good food into your body, and that’s how vitamins B work. I do take those when I am sick.
8. And now – DIY! I have a big teaspoon of honey in the morning and in the evening, and I mix cinnamon and turmeric powder into a small honey jar. I find that this really makes me feel fantastic, because turmeric is great at reducing inflammation and boosting your immune system, and so is cinnamon. Healing properties of honey alone are absolutely amazing, too. The world wouldn’t be alive if it wasn’t for bees, they pollinate everything that we basically eat, there will be no plants alive if the bees weren’t here – so please love your bees.
That is basically what I do. I try to get a good amount of sleep, especially if I am feeling run down or stressed, or going through a difficult time in my life. I really try to eat better and get more rest during those times. If I am going to eat junk food, afterwards I am going to eat food that’s going to make me feel better. I try to eat better when I am feeling stressed, or when I have to work more, because I can only get the best out of myself if I put good fuel into my body.
If you want to get the best out of your every single day and out of my voice, that’s what you should be trying to eat and stay as healthy as possible.
I am sure that all of these tips will help you out if you apply them; please find out what works best for YOU. Thank you for reading, and I’ll see you on the next VSA blog!
Have fun singing,
The VSA Team